Tuesday, January 05, 2016

January 5, 2016 Bible Study – Isaiah 31:1-9

Today’s Bible study is Isaiah 31:1-9.  Chapter 31 appears to be a continuation of Isaiah’s warnings of coming judgment because the people have rejected God and have sought security by making an agreement with Egypt.  The Israeli people had put their trust in a false strength – weapons of war.

  1. What is the main point of this passage?  In verses 1 through 3, God continues (from Chapter 30) and specifies His complaint against Israel for making a security agreement with Egypt, and for rejecting Him as their Savior and Protector.  He makes it clear that both Israel and Egypt will fall.  We know from history, Nebuchadnezzar defeated and destroyed both nations.   However, in verses 4 and 5 God declares He will defend Jerusalem.  In the last 4 verses, God pronounces severe judgment on the Assyrians.  Today, ISIS practices the Assyrian barbarism of antiquity.  ISIS will pay a severe penalty, not by man’s hand, but by God’s.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  He will punish those who trust in the power of men, and the men in whom others place their trust.  Today is the day of salvation.  Verse 6 declares, “Return to Him from whom you have deeply defected, O sons of Israel.”
  3. What insights can I apply to my life?  All of humanity cannot stop God’s coming wrath.  We see more civil and international upheaval fueled by men and women who do not care how much harm and/or heartache they cause.  Today, I must check my motives and attitudes.  Do I trust God?  Jesus, only You know.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  I must be honest with my LORD.  I say I trust Him but what’s the gut-level truth?  Should God choose to spend my life in some frightening way, I pray I will be a man of God filled with His grace to face my end for His glory.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  I believe we are not only in the last days, but we are in the last hours.  Our nation has become weak, corrupted from within.  The Constitutional Republic is passing away.  As a follower of Jesus, I must prepare and live as an exile in this land called America.
The gun-control debate rages in our nation.  Both sides would do well to consider the fact that neither is placing their trust in Almighty God.  The gun-control loons place their trust in government to protect them.  The gun-rights folks place their trust in their personal ability to defend themselves.  Don’t get me wrong; I am a Second Amendment supporter.  Writers at the annual Colorado Christian Writers’ Conference refer to me as the Constitution Guy.  Every story or article I write promotes God’s gift of Christian Liberty.  However, this passage reminds me of a security briefing I received over ten years ago dealing with the Islamic world.  If all, “You-know-what,” breaks loose, the briefing’s take away consists of three points: 1) The Federal Government will not help the American people. 2) The State governments do not have the resources to help their folks. 3) Local authorities will do what they can for a short period of time, but soon they will turn to taking care of their own property and families.  Consequently, they cannot help their community members.  The bottom line was we are on our own.  I walked away from that briefing thanking Jesus that He saved my life.  Without Him, I would be lost and alone in a godless world. While there is still time, I recommend that if you are reading this and you do not know who Jesus is, I suggest you find out, quickly.  As always, thanks for reading.       

No comments: