Sunday, January 10, 2016

January 10, 2016 Bible Study – Psalm 89:1-52

Today’s Bible study is the long Psalm 89:1-52.  This passage is broken up into many parts.  It is filled with unashamed praise and worship, personal encouragement for the believer, and gratitude for God’s faithfulness.  It seems to run the full gamut of emotions from gratefulness to despair.  Due to its length and multiple parts, this post will be longer than others.

  1. What is the main point of this passage?  Verses 1 through 4 are full of praise and worship with an acknowledgment of God’s covenant with king David.  Verses 5 through 10 describe how awesome and incomparable God is in deed and character.  Verses 11 through 18 make up another praise and worship section with an emphasis on God’s righteousness and justice (verse 14).  This portion also describes the blessing of walking upright before the LORD.  Verses 19 through 29 remind us of God’s covenant with David and a promise that the Messiah will come through David’s lineage.  In verses 30 through 37, the tone changes to what will happen to future descendants of David’s who do not follow the LORD.  Verses 38 through 45 appear to describe the suffering Messiah.  Verses 46 through 48 continue this thought of the suffering Messiah concept but with a personal aspect.  Verses 49 through 51 returns to the suffering Messiah bearing the reproach of all peoples.  Finally, the psalm ends with a resolve to praise God forever, no matter what the circumstances.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  He shows His faithfulness to fulfill His word.  He is worthy of praise and worship by and from all peoples.  He has a deep desire to bless His chosen servants and all who are willing to obey and honor Him throughout their lives.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life?  I always want to express exuberant gratitude to God for creating me and, saving my family and me. He established and sustained me throughout this life.  He continues to teach and guide me and He has convinced me that He will never leave nor forsake me as He transforms me into a vessel useful for His service and purposes.  I want to apply the precious promises stated in this passage to my life.  I trust in Him.  His is my sole reason for happiness.  I will rejoice in Him, no matter what happens today, tomorrow, or in the difficult days of judgment ahead.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  God has made it clear to Mary and I to pray for our neighborhood.  We have seen many answers to our prayers for our neighbors.  Space on this post is inadequate to list all He has done.  In general terms, we’ve seen physical and emotional healings, community improvements to neglected properties, and restored relationships.  We thank God.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  Mary and I have received an indescribable blessing working through the scriptures, together.  We are encouraged anew to be godly examples of salt and light to each other, our children and their spouses, our grandchildren, and friends.  God is good.

No comments: