Sunday, January 24, 2016

January 24, 2016 Bible Study – Psalm 91:1-16

Today’s Bible study is Psalm 91:1-16.  The writer of this psalm helps us readers to have grateful hearts full of praise to our wonderful Creator, Redeemer, and LORD.  I am overwhelmed by His love.   

  1. What is the main point of this passage? In verses 1 through 4, the psalmist declares the vital importance for abiding in the LORD.  Ways I abide include but are not limited to: study His word, apply His principles, have accountable fellowship, and pay attention to the guidance He gives through His Holy Spirit.  In verses 5 through 10, the writer describes several example benefits for abiding in the LORD.  Verses 11 through 13, appears to be a prophecy regarding His protection, which the devil used against Jesus when the enemy tempted Him.  And, verses 14 through 16 describe the blessings of abiding in the LORD.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  He describes how much He wants to bless, protect, and preserve the life of anyone who chooses to abide in Him.  Above all, He wants to show His abiding children His love.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life? The LORD’s command to His children has never changed – choose for yourself this day to whom you will serve.  For Mary and me, I choose, and we choose, to serve, trust, follow, worship, and adore Him, forever.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  This is one of the most quoted psalms.  As I have said in an earlier post, it is hard to pick a favorite scripture.  This is one that is maneuverable and I often find myself reading the first verse often.  Remembering to abide in the LORD is vital to serving and thriving as a step-by-step follower of Jesus.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  I learned a great truth in church today.  Forgiveness is releasing someone from punishment, even the desire that they be punished.  Walking in forgiveness because He has forgiven me is critical for me to abide in the LORD.  Jesus, I choose to forgive others as You have forgiven me.  For anyone I’ve sinned against, bring them to my attention so I can ask them to forgive me, too.
Thanks for reading and praying.

No comments: