Sunday, January 17, 2016

January 17, 2016 Bible Study – Psalm 90:1-17

Today’s Bible study is Psalm 90:1-17.  I use the New American Standard Bible (NASB).  This version compiled by the Lockman Foundation includes commentaries throughout.  The commentary with Psalm 90 indicates their scholars believe Moses is the author of this prayer.

  1. What is the main point of this passage? I believe Moses wants to let us know we are completely dependent on God for everything.  In the first two verses, Moses acknowledges God as The Creator of all things.  The Almighty is our provider, and we are completely dependent on Him at all times.  In verses 3 through 6, Moses declares God’s physical victory over Israel’s enemies.  In verses 7 through 12, Moses acknowledges our sins including our secret sins, which cause us affliction and hardship.  Moses also acknowledges our human weaknesses, limitations, and dependency.  Finally, in verses 13 through 17, Moses looks forward to a time of restoration and rejoicing for the children of Israel.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  Through Moses, God reminds us of our total dependency on Him.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life? I believe verse 12 is important to apply as written.  Dear LORD, teach me to number my days that I may present to You a heart of wisdom.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  I pray every word I write brings glory and honor to the LORD, and reminds my readers of our complete dependence on Him.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  I continue to trust God for a positive outcome regarding my dog.
Thanks for reading and praying.

No comments: