Thursday, January 21, 2016

January 19, 2016 Bible Study – Isaiah 43:1-28

Tuesday’s Bible study was Isaiah 43:1-28.  God has blessed me with another opportunity to facilitate workshops at the 2016 Colorado Christian Writers’ Conference (CCWC).  The topics will be, “America at the Crossroads,” and “How Then Should We Live.”  It is an honor to serve with and for so many talented people.  Also, God answered our prayer for mercy.  I will be more attentive to Bailey to prevent him from biting another person (see # 3 below).

  1. What is the main point of this passage? God loves His chosen people, the children of Israel.  In verses 1 through 7, God explains because of His love He will bring them back to the land at His appointed time.  We know from history, He fulfilled this portion of scripture.  God declares Israel and the Messiah to be His witnesses to the world in verses 8 through 13.  He alone is our Savior (verse 11).  God restates this in verses 14 through 21, He alone is our Redeemer and He tells His people to look forward to a time when He will do a new work.  Jesus fulfilled this portion, too.  In addition, God recreated Israel in 1948 for His purposes.  The prophet raises God’s accusation against Israel for her many sins in verses 22 through 24.  Finally, in verses 25 through 28 God declares He alone can cleanse people from their sins.  Knowing our arrogance, He grants us the opportunity to clear our names and plead our cause with our strength and wisdom, because we believe we are innocent.  However, we must confess that we have offended His majesty and shown Him disrespect if we ever want to receive His forgiveness.  Because Israel refused to admit her transgressions, the prophet declares she will go into Babylonian captivity long before it happens.  We know from history, it happened.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  He reveals His great love for His people.  Because He is a loving Father, He disciplines His beloved children for their sins.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life? God’s judgment is coming and He begins with His household.  For example, I failed to be attentive with my dog around small children.  I knew he had become more aggressive in his old age.  I had been warned.  I almost had to put him to sleep because he bit a child.  It was my sin of lackadaisicalness that caused the accident.  Thanks to God extending His mercy, I don’t have to put Bailey down.  However, it has been tense the past several days not knowing what might be required.  It is a funny thing about us humans.  We can be forewarned that an event will happen.  We can look back in history and see that it did happen.  But when we are in the middle of something, we seem to be oblivious that the prophecy is happening.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  I can use this passage and this example in my preparations for the writers’ conference.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  I am grateful for God’s loving kindness and His mercy.
Thanks for reading and praying.

No comments: