Friday, January 22, 2016

January 21, 2016 Bible Study – Isaiah 45:1-25

Thursday’s Bible study was Isaiah 45:1-25.  Mary and I continue to pray for Rob and his family.  I cannot believe the hospital will not release his son’s body for a funeral until the bill is paid in full.

  1. What is the main point of this passage? In verses 1 through 7, God call king Cyrus to execute His purposes long before Cyrus is born.  God will cause Cyrus to prosper in his conquests to accomplish God’s design.  Verse 8 seems like an interlude for God promises to rain blessings from above.  In verses 9 and 10, He declares it is foolishness for us to quarrel with Him.  In verses 11 through 13, the prophet declares the day king Cyrus will order God’s people to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the city and temple.  In verses 14 through 17, God proclaims a day will come when idolaters will be humbled and Israel will never again be shamed.  That day has not come, yet.  In verses 18 and 19, God says He created the earth to be a mature life support system to be inhabited.  Finally, in verses 20 through 25 God proclaims the day when every knee will bow and every tongue will swear allegiance – Jesus is LORD (verse 23).  In addition, all of His enemies will be put to shame.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  He alone is Creator and Savior.  He knows the future.  He knows who does or does not belong to Him.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life? God knows my heart.  He knows my internal attitudes (verse 9).  He knows if my allegiance to Him is true of false.  He knows if I am mere show in a vain attempt to receive the approval of men.  I must be honest with Him in all things.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  Since He knows, I choose to live a godly life, pleasing to Him the One who saved me from self-destruction in my sins.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  Today, I choose to live a godly, upright life.  One that demonstrates moral excellence before God in all aspects of my life.  I will not allow secret sins to linger in the closets of my soul.
Thanks for reading and praying.

No comments: