Sunday, January 03, 2016

January 3, 2016 Bible Study – Psalm 88:1-18

Today’s Bible study is Psalm 88:1-18.  The writer is notably upset.  He is being open with God declaring his deep anguish.  He is convinced God has abandoned him.  Yet, he still prays seeking answers.  I wonder if the writer is aware of God’s pending judgment of Israel and he realizes he can do nothing to stop it.  Or, is this a prophetic description of the suffering Messiah’s payment of our sin penalty?


  1. What is the main point of this passage?  The writer declares his dependence on God for salvation.  In the first 9 verses, he registers his complaint regarding his troubles, which he concludes God has allowed.   The writer is convinced God’s wrath will destroy him and asks if God will receive praise from the grave in verses 10 through 12.  Finally, he seems to surrender his fate in hopelessness in the concluding verses.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  Since this is a personal plea, God’s revelation is not clear.  If anything as Sovereign, He is under no obligation to answer our prayers.  God does accept the accusations without retaliation.  Considering the Messianic connection, verse 14 seems beyond human stamina and is similar to the words cried by Jesus as He hung on the cross.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life?  I relate to this psalm as I watch the occupier of the Whitehouse move swiftly to complete his fundamental transformation of America.  Into what, we can only speculate.  No matter how hard we pray for God to stop BHO, he continues his attack on traditional American values, Israel, and conservative Christians.  Today, I petition Jesus to stop BHO from unilaterally imposing Federal gun control.  I believe his executive order could provoke a second, bloody civil war.  Even with the surrounding miseries, I choose this day to praise the LORD for He is good, He is God, and He has everything under control.  God has richly blessed my life.  Yes, there have been struggles, but nothing compared to the devastating hopelessness described in this psalm.  I have never felt my soul rejected.  I have felt His supernatural forgiveness for my sins, past, present, and future, and for that I am eternally grateful.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  When God pours out His wrath many will be overwhelmed with hopelessness.  I pray I am ready to assure the downtrodden absolutely nothing can separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  Also, I pray God will grant me eyes to see and ears to hear what He has prepared for me, my wife, and our children and grandchildren in this New Year of 2016.
Thanks for reading.  I pray none of my readers ever feel God’s rejection of his or her soul.  In Jesus name, amen.               

No comments: