Thursday, January 28, 2016

January 28, 2016 Bible Study – Isaiah 51:1-23

Today’s Bible study is Isaiah 51:1-23.  As I work through these passages, God’s Holy Spirit convicts my soul deeply.  I often think I should be in prison for my gross, displeasing sins in the face of the Holy One.  Most Americans fail to recognize God has an opinion on every subject of interest to man.  Consequently, they do not care if they displease Him by their thoughts and behavior.  It should not be a surprise when the day comes when America will lose God’s precious gift of liberty.

  1. What is the main point of this passage? God declares He will bring His people back to the land He promised to Abraham’s offspring.  He announces that His children will return, filled with gladness and joy.  Mary and I visited a Messianic church in Jerusalem.  The worship offered to Jesus in Hebrew was the most powerful I have ever experienced.  I did not want to leave.  The worship was filled with joy and gladness.  I believe it was a glimpse of what the LORD has planned for His faithful people.  In verses 1 through 3, God commands His people to remember from where they have come.  They are Abraham’s children.  They have been in captivity before and God rescued them at His appropriate time.  He will do it again.  In verses 4 through 8, He restates His promised salvation; it is near and it is sure.  In verses 9 through 11, He reminds them how He delivered their ancestors from Egypt and He promises they will rejoice when He rescues them.  In verses 12 through 16, God again declares He is their comfort and He promises to destroy Israel’s oppressors, one day.  He reassures His children by once again calling them His people.  In verses 17 through 20, God seems to lament because of all the men born to Israel He cannot find one leader (I see this in our time in America).  In verses 21 through 23, God promises an end to Israel’s affliction and He will turn their punishment on Israel’s oppressors (including Americans who oppress Israel by standing with her enemies).
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  He is in complete control of His creation.  He expects me to place all of my trust in Him.  He expects me to practice righteousness – a right relationship between Him and me, and a right relationship between His children and me.  I realize, not everyone will be saved, but He is the Creator-Father of everyone, even those who want to kill my family, almost every American, and me to fulfill some death-cult religious manifesto.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life? I have spent most of my adult life trying to live a godly life.  After 45 years of following Jesus, I still struggle with loving God with my whole heart, and I definitely have a hard time treating all of His children with loving kindness.  I’m so guilty of falling short of the glory of God I should be in prison.  Yet, He sets me free to try and serve Him with a right heart each and every new day.  He is amazing.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  I want to shout for joy for He has saved me from my corruptible self.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  Tonight is GOP debate number 7.  Our neighborhood debate watch party will try to make a final decision, which candidate we will support in our March 2016 Colorado caucus.  Father, in the powerful name of Jesus, grant us the grace of Your wisdom to exercise the gift You have provided – the ability to possibly select our next president.  I pray that we can find a leader and not repeat verse 18 from this passage of Your word.  Amen.
Thanks for reading and praying.                  

No comments: