Tuesday, January 26, 2016

January 26, 2016 Bible Study – Isaiah 49:1-26

Today’s Bible study is Isaiah 49:1-26.  In summary, this passage describes the Messiah’s mission, including His suffering, and His objective to bring salvation to Israel and to the entire world.  This portion of scripture is full of precious promises from God how He will never forget His people.

  1. What is the main point of this passage? In verses 1 through 4, we see Messiah as One born of a woman, One who suffers, and One who trusts perfectly in God for His just reward.  In verses 5 through 7, the Messiah’s salvation will extend to all peoples, yet many will reject and hate Him.  In verses 8 through 13, God promises to restore His people from various places of captivity and return them to the land of Israel.  In verses 14 through 21, God proves He knows His people believe He has forgotten and forsaken them.  Be He counters this misconception by declaring He could never forget His people under any circumstances, no matter how bitter their affliction.  He also proclaims there will be so many returning and born in Israel they will have trouble making room for everyone.  I have seen this promise fulfilled.  Unfortunately, the occupier of the Whitehouse wants to prevent the Israeli people from building homes for themselves.  God alone rescues His people.  If BHO has a complaint, he needs to take it up with God Almighty, not the moon god he worships.  In verses 22 and 23, God foretells of a day when His chosen people will return to the land with the blessings of other nations.  I believe this has been partially fulfilled.  Finally, in verses 24 through 26, God promises to rescue His people held in captivity and bring them back to His land.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  He fulfills His promises.  He never forgets His people.  He is our rescuer.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life? I confess, I have been guilty of thinking God has forgotten me.  I am glad He has matured me in Him and I no longer have those thoughts.  He has made His presence known even on my darkest and loneliest days.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  I will always try to remind myself, my family, friends, and neighbors His salvation is ever present.  We are never alone and He is reaching out to everyone to come find rest in Him.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  I continue to pray for my friend who lost his son.  He continues to ask for prayer for himself and his family.  He said he can sense God’s comfort and the support of thousands who have written to him stating they have been praying for him.  Will you join me in this prayer?  Father, in the precious and powerful name of Jesus, the Holy One of Israel, I ask You to extend Your comfort, the comfort You promised to those who mourn, to my friend.  I know You are touched by his pain.  You know his pain and only You can love him through this time.  Help him to be kind to himself as each new day brings a different sense of loss.  Wrap Your loving arms around him.  Grant him peace, Your peace that surpasses all human understanding.  Help him grasp the truth he is not forgotten nor forsaken.  Amen.
Thanks for reading and praying.

No comments: