Thursday, April 21, 2005

God Expects Governing Officials to Act Justly

Good Evening: This has been a very challenging week at work. I hope that our Senators and Congressman would understand what it means to us who labor each day that it is foolish for them to talk. I expect our elected officials to act, not talk and go to lunch. Sometimes, I honestly think we’d be much better off without the circus act we are forced to refer to as the United States Congress.

Bible Study, Nehemiah 5:1-19
What is the main point? A famine overcame the people of Israel. It is amazing what people will do when they are hungry. It is hard to believe that anyone could sell their child into slavery, but this became a common survival practice. It was a major injustice that Nehemiah, as Governor, corrected. Unfortunately, he didn’t act until he confronted a great outcry from the people. Some things never change.
What does God reveal about Himself? I think He shows His expectation that people should not take advantage of others who are misfortunate and that He expects people to act justly.
What insights into my life? Nehemiah used his wealth and official food allowance to feed as many of the workers as possible. He restricted his aid to those that rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem. I often pray that God would direct me how to best use His abundance. I take from this passage that there is a benefit to contributing to those ministries, which extend the Kingdom of God.
How can I honor God with this information? My co-workers and I have another challenge today. I pray that our conduct will be pleasing to the Lord and that we will work together to accomplish the task that God has prepared for us. I invite God’s Holy Spirit to preside over our meetings.
Where is God working today? I pray that God will continue to knit me with my co-workers to become a force for good.

No comments: