Tuesday, February 09, 2016

February 9, 2016 Bible Study – Isaiah 61:1-11

Today’s Bible study is Isaiah 61:1-11.  This is another one of my greatly loved passages.  Almost 8 years ago, I had the honor and privilege to read verses 1 and 2a to our tour group as we visited the restored ruins of a Nazareth synagogue scholars believe may have been the one Jesus taught from these verses as recorded in the Gospel of Luke 4:18.  It is important to note, Jesus reading this passage was no coincidence.  In Hebrew culture, daily scripture reading is known in advance.  After Jesus read this verse, sat down, and stated, “Today, this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” His declaration was intentional and in accordance with His self-revealing purposes.

  1. What is the main point of this passage? We know from scripture, Jesus declared verses 1 and 2a fulfilled.  However, verses 2b through 3 remain unfulfilled, specifically the day of vengeance.  I believe 4 through 9 are partly fulfilled.  Israel is carefully locating and restoring ruins from ancient times.  The amount of food they produce is overwhelming and many European nations benefit from Israel’s produce.  Also, there is an atmosphere of joy throughout the land.  Even in rocket-torn Sderot (approximately a half mile from the Gaza strip border), the joy is visible.  While there, the air-raid sirens blared.  We were rushed into a bomb shelter.  When the, “All clear,” was sounded we went back to work outside.  Kids from the school across the street came out to play in the playground.  For them, rocket attacks are routine and won’t prevent them from having fun.  That evening, we returned to Jerusalem and went to a Messianic church.  The praise and worship was the most powerful I’ve ever experienced in my entire life as a believer.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  Only Almighty God can proclaim the favorable year of the LORD.  By commenting on this passage, Jesus revealed Himself as God.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life? I have a longing to return to Israel.  I believe I may see the total fulfillment of this passage and I would like to be in Israel to witness it.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  As long as Jesus has me here, I will labor to bring His good news to others, pray for my family, friends, fellowship, and neighborhood.  I will continue to write His answer.  I choose to live a faithful life so that God will be glorified.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  Tonight, we will see if the GOP 2016 presidential race will turn toward godliness.  The Democrats do not offer godly candidates.  Will God raise a godly person, one of morally excellent character?
Thanks for reading and praying.                   

No comments: