Sunday, February 07, 2016

February 7, 2016 Bible Study – Psalm 93:1-5

Today’s Bible study is Psalm 93:1-5.  This is such a short Psalm, I know I’ll write more words than are contained in the entire work.  In addition, it is Super Bowl 50 today.  I believe the Broncos have a slim chance, but they have to play a perfect game and the Panthers have to make many costly mistakes.  A divine intervention miracle would help.  Anyway, this psalm is an act of worship.  In the Christian world, we like to sing songs of worship.  The LORD has shown me, I can sing all I want and still get worship wrong because, worship is more than a song.

  1. What is the main point of this passage? In verses 1 and 2, the psalmist makes an attempt at describing the eternal nature of God.  Because I am created and finite, I fall short of comprehending the infinite.  Humanity has discovered much.  I am overwhelmed with information.  Yet, when it comes to God, so much of what He has revealed I must accept on faith.  And from so much of what I believe, I often draw wrong conclusions, which He graciously corrects.  Is it wrong to declare the glory of God?  Never, but His glory was revealed on the cross – overcoming death, Hell, and the grave.  I won’t see His glory when today’s Super Bowl winners hoist the Lombardi Trophy.  In verses 3 through 5, I think the psalmist is using a metaphor to show how various peoples rail against God.  He concludes that God is above their mindless objections and the writer declares his faith in a holy, Almighty LORD.
  2. What does God reveal about Himself?  God is above all the floods of humanity, the kings of the earth, and religious leaders.  His Kingdom is not of this world and has no boundaries.
  3. What insights can I apply to my life? Regardless of the vast, scholarly and worldly arguments that self-righteously proclaim, “There is no god,” I cannot reject what He has revealed about Himself to me.  He is the Almighty Creator of the Universe.  He apprehended me, exposed my sins to me, gave me glimpse of His holiness, and offered His salvation to me.  I accepted and surrendered to His authority.  I choose to be grateful, as the psalmist declared, forevermore.
  4. How can I use this passage to honor God?  Praise Him at all times no matter what the circumstances.
  5. Where is God working in my life today?  We’ve had a ton of fun since the Broncos limped into this year’s Super Bowl, historic number 50.  I’ve watched everyone.  I remember when the Green Bay Packers beat the Kansas City Chiefs.  With the Broncos last loss to the Seattle Seahawks, they hold the record for most Super Bowl losses.  Regardless of what happens tonight, it is just a game and has no impact on the Kingdom of God.  For Jesus, Yours is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.  Amen!
Thanks for reading and praying.

No comments: