- What is the main point of this passage? In verses 1 through 6, God shows us a glimpse of what His wrath would look like. I am not sure I could handle a more graphic portrayal. In verses 7 through 9, the prophet declares praise to God for His salvation, and His mercy for the redeemed. However, verse 10 tells us God is grieved because of the people’s behavior. If He did not love us, I do not think He would experience grief because of our sins. In verses 11 through 14, the prophet reminds the people to recall and be grateful for all the good God has done for them. Finally, verses 15 through 19 describe the natural results and consequences for forgetting God, becoming ungrateful, and rebelling against Him.
- What does God reveal about Himself? I do not believe anyone wants to see God’s wrath, even macho believers who claim they do. He provides us a glimpse of what His anger would look like in this passage, and it will be bloody. He also shows us why He pours out His wrath. He is grieved, something an all-powerful Creator does not have to feel, unless He has chosen to love His people.
- What insights can I apply to my life? God has not caused me (or anyone else) to forget Him, become ungrateful, or rebel against His revealed will. That is my choice. Today, I choose to be a child who brings joy to his Father, because I choose to live for Him and reject the ways of the world.
- How can I use this passage to honor God? I choose to be an obedient son, not out of law, but because I love Him.
- Where is God working in my life today? I pray that I will allow His Holy Spirit to expose any ingratitude that may cause me to forget Him, which would lead to rebelling against Him.
Thursday, February 11, 2016
February 11, 2016 Bible Study – Isaiah 63:1-19
Today’s Bible study is Isaiah 63:1-19. The GOP race tightens because candidates continue to drop out. I am sorry to see Carly Fiorina leave because Mary and I got to know her. She is a woman of high moral character (not like the other woman, criminal in the race). My personal choice remains Dr. Ben Carson; however, he is struggling to hang on in this race where proven moral character no longer seems to matter. I fear we will lose Dr. Carson’s calm voice in the stormy seas ahead. Worse, we are left with GOP establishment followers (I wanted to write puppets), one progressive businessman who cares nothing about the Constitution and the rule of law, one democrat/socialist who wants to turn all citizens into surfs, one criminal who should be indicted for breach of security, and two junior senators. I believe (I can’t know) there remains one who cares about restoring a constitutionally based republic, if we can keep it. But apparently, the majority of Americans could not care less.