Monday, March 21, 2005

March 21, 2005:

Missions Statement: I am the hand of a Ready Writer (Psalm 45:1) for the Lord. I will document His love for His people (Galatians 5:1), and proclaim the soon coming marriage supper of the Lamb of God (Revelation 19:7). Postings will be based on my daily Bible study and will follow a consistent format. My hope is to encourage my readers to further personal study. I am a "Jack-of-all-trades and a "master of none," so I intend to write on a variety of subjects that surface from my daily Bible study. I intend for these postings to be short, informative, accurate, and entertaining, with links to subject-matter experts. It is time for His Bride to prepare herself for her Groom.

Good Evening! This is a somber day. After coming home from a long hard day at work, I learned that justice for Terri Schiavo creeps slowly. We need to keep praying for Terri, and for the Federal Judge that seems to be sitting on her case. I also learned that another student shooting took place in Minnesota. I am very thankful that none of these matters surprise God.

Bible Study: Luke 23:8-12
What is the main point? Jesus is brought before King Herod. He wants Jesus to perform a sign; any miracle will do so that Herod would believe. Jesus warned that it is the wicked who seek after signs and wonders. Because Jesus says nothing, Herod sends Him back to Pilate. I found it very interesting that Herod and Pilate, once former enemies, became friends that day. Those that are friends of the world are enemies of God (See James 4:4).
What does God reveal about Himself? He is able to take all the contempt the world throws in His face and respond with grace and mercy rather than retaliate with His justifiable wrath. It was judgment enough that Jesus chose to be quiet when the wicked demanded a reply from Him. Then, Jesus left Herod to his own devices.
What insights into my life? I pray that I will exercise patience with my fellow believers and pre-believers when they speak or act out of ignorance rather than understanding. It is too easy to give in to my natural desire to retaliate when wronged, and cut the offender off for the foolishness demonstrated. I pray that I will keep silent rather than strike back.
How do I honor God with this information? I wrote in my journal this morning that when I go to work today a situation may arise that will require patience, mercy, grace and understanding. I hope that I am up to the challenge. Well, not only did I encounter one thing, but several. I can honestly say that if not for God through His Holy Spirit helping me, I think I would have retaliated on more than one occasion. I did yell at my computer when it crashed today (I wanted to smash it). I guess the fact that I’m still employed is a good sign that I didn’t completely fail the Lord today.
Where is God working today? My wife, Mary, just returned last night from Scotland. Mary and her missions team, ten students from Colorado Christian University (CCU) ministered to a sixty plus member youth group. Mary said that the Scots were very impressed with how willing the Americans shared their personal testimonies of what Jesus had done and is doing in their respective lives. I found it interesting that not everyone is so ready, willing, and able to freely share God’s love. Mary received an e-mail message today from one of the Scotland youth leaders thanking Mary and her team for a job well done. I pray that this Gospel connection between our two cultures matures for God’s purposes.

No comments: