Friday, January 18, 2019

Destination Hope - Book 5 - Reconciliation - Chapter 32

For new readers to this story, I linked Chapter 1. Chapters 2 - 4 are linked under September, 5 - 10 under October, 11 - 18 under November, 19 - 27 under December, and 28 - 31 under January 2019.

Destination Hope – Book 5 – Reconciliation

A Novel By:

Charles J. Patricoff

Copyright © 2014 by Charles J. Patricoff. All rights reserved.


Chapter 32

Reconciliation


They rolled past the White House, but in Nathaniel’s troubled mind, he failed to hear the detailed descriptions presented by his guide. For all he knew, the People’s House did not exist, even though he stared right at the washed-white portico columns, standing in a perfect semicircle. Nathaniel could not think of anything else other than the challenging issue seated next to him.
Lord, I want to know how he got here. It is obvious. You protected him. Now he will mentor Zebulon through college. How do I ask? Where do I begin?
His ears heard, but his mind blotted out the sound of the horse’s hooves clopping as it pulled the open carriage down the traffic-congested, dusty street. Nathaniel stared straight down Pennsylvania Avenue in the direction of the United States Congress building. He did not see the facsimile of The Vatican, which captivated him the previous day. He felt a passing breeze. With it came a renewed sense of clarity. I think, Lord, You want me to begin at the beginning. This is going to be hard.  He gulped.
“Dr. Benjamin, I do appreciate you showing me around Washington, D. C. However, I think we both know you and I have unfinished business to discuss.”
“If you mean Zebulon’s course of study, don’t worry Pastor Graham. I’ll keep a close eye on him.”
Nathaniel peered at Professor Benjamin’s profile, noting a distinct half-smile on the man’s face. Nathaniel figured the distinguished educator knew the truth and chose to avoid the matter, for now. Even though the position strained his neck, he kept his gaze fixed on his tour guide. “You know what I—we need to discuss.” Nathaniel sighed. “I can’t believe it was almost five years ago.”
“Much has changed since then.”
Nathaniel sensed the kindness in the professor’s deep, baritone voice. It still resonated with the same calm Nathaniel had witnessed the first day they met. It riled him then; it comforted him now. Nathaniel nodded. They rode in silence passing the United States Treasury Building. Nathaniel glanced at the array of Federal Government buildings and allowed his mind to change the subject—a gift or curse, he never knew which—a behavior he resorted to often whenever he became anxious. Every building looks like sketches I’ve seen of ancient Rome when she controlled the known world.
“Ask him.”
Nathaniel recognized his Shepherd’s voice. Now he faced a choice; obey his fear and hope that what troubled him would pass, or obey His Lord and face the sin that kept him bound sitting next to this honorable freedman.
Additional instruction and encouragement came with the next passing gentle wind. “Remember, the Kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.”
Nathaniel pondered this exhortation. Righteousness. It’s clear that I’m not in a right relationship with this man—a brother-in-Christ. It’s also clear I haven’t had any peace or joy since he walked into General Howard’s office. The ministry of God’s Holy Spirit is to convict of sin, righteousness and judgment. I think it is reasonable to assume I’ve grieved His Holy Spirit—something The Almighty never needs to experience unless He chooses to be vulnerable. Okay, I need to repent. He is a man. I should have stood up for him that day.
“Doctor Benjamin?” Nathaniel almost choked.
“Yes, Pastor Graham.”
“Would you forgive me for what I did to you?”
“For what?” Professor Benjamin kept his eyes on the road ahead, but his smile broadened a bit.
Nathaniel threw both hands over his face to help him think. He’s not making this easy for me.
“True repentance never is.”
Why do I think You are speaking to him at the same time You are speaking to me?
“Whether or not I choose to speak to him or what I speak to him is no concern of yours.”
As Professor Benjamin pulled on the reins directing the horse to turn left onto Tenth Street, Nathaniel said, “For that day when I refused to hear your plea. You asked for help, and I denied it to you and your people. I had it in my power to stand up for you. Well, we both know…”
Professor Benjamin nodded. After a prolonged pause, he said, “What you intended for evil, God intended for good.” Professor Benjamin began to explain the almost bizarre, Joseph-like travels that in time landed him and his family at Howard University. He recounted how Confederate soldiers sold him and his congregation into slavery. Later, he became the property of Judah Benjamin, the Secretary of State for the Confederacy. Secretary Benjamin exposed the professor to the celebration of God’s appointed Feasts for the Jewish people. This gave him a deep appreciation for his Hebrew heritage, and he identified with God’s chosen vessels, which led him to study the Hebrew roots of Christianity. As God collapsed the Confederacy, Secretary Benjamin provided information to help the former pastor recover many of the surviving lost sheep from his congregation.
Nathaniel sat almost mesmerized by this grand adventure. He sensed that the professor neared the end of his story when he made a general comment. “All governments can be a force for good under God’s governance. However, throughout recorded history they have all become corrupted into a force for unspeakable evil in the name of doing good deeds…even the Southern Confederacy. This led me to believe you could not have known any better at the time. So of course, I forgive you.”
The transaction neared completion. Nathaniel sighed with a deep sense of relief as if he heard a judge proclaim, “Case dismissed” and granting an acquittal even though the accused knew he had committed a heinous crime.
Professor Benjamin completed his thought. “Now, regarding the need to extend forgiveness to other members of the South, I believe the burden God has placed upon my shoulders is this: I must teach the young men, like Zebulon, to forgive them, too. If not, bitterness will swallow them whole, just as my name sake was swallowed by the great fish.”
Through welling eyes, Nathaniel noticed a building on their left.  Once again, he relied on his old behavior and changed the subject. “Is that it?”
Professor Benjamin followed the direction of Nathaniel’s left arm and index finger. “Yes, that’s the house where he died.” Professor Benjamin directed Nathaniel’s attention to the building on their right. “The Army has converted it into a records-keeping warehouse. This is an example of what I just said. It’s as if they want to erase the fact that he was shot there, change history, and pretend it never happened. I know I should keep my opinions to myself at times, but hiding the truth is evil.”
Ain’t it something what one bullet can do? Those haunting words from his first action at the Battle of Shiloh resonated once again in front of the former theater. Focus. Nathaniel agreed with the professor’s assessment, but he had pressing matters on his mind. He knew he needed to take one more step. With all the sincerity he could muster, he said, “Thank you, Doctor Benjamin.”
Professor Benjamin pulled on the reins, causing the horse and buggy to halt. He extended his right hand in greeting. “Call me Jonah, Pastor Graham.”
Nathaniel accepted the handshake and reciprocated. “Call me, Nate. All my friends and family do.”
Jonah nodded and smiled. “It just goes to prove, even pastors need to receive God’s forgiveness.”
“Often more than the flock they serve.” Nathaniel added.
“Day-eh-nu.” Jonah said.
“What, Jonah?”
Jonah’s face beamed with a broad, toothy, maybe giddy smile. “I heard the Hebrew word, Day-eh-nu at my first Passover observance.”
“At the Secretary of State’s home?”
Jonah nodded.
Nathaniel struggled with the word’s pronunciation and then asked, “What does it mean?”
“Its basic meaning is, ‘It is enough.’ But to appreciate the word in its fullness, there is a part in the Seder where the men lead a recital—a series of phrases and the women repeat them. The concept is that it would have been enough if God had accomplished just one thing delivering the Children of Israel from the bondage of Egypt. However, with each phrase expressed, they recall over a dozen things God did, and after each declaration, they all say, ‘Day-eh-nu. It is enough, Nate.” Jonah grinned again. “It is enough that God allowed us to see each other again, this side of glory.”
Nathaniel grasped the deeper meaning as he glanced at the Peterson House where Abraham Lincoln had died. He smiled a warm agreement. “Day-eh-nu.”
Jonah nodded again. He gave the reins a shake, and the carriage rolled past what once had been Ford’s Theater.
For Nathaniel, peace returned. Acquitted and forgiven, he knew God had set him free, and for him, the Civil War, which raged in the depth of his being, ended.
A few days later, Nathaniel arrived home to an anxious wife. “Slow down, Ellie, what happened again at church?”
“I’ll tell you, that man is up to no good. For starters, he wants to talk to you about marrying Marah, and he wants you to perform the service. I don’t think you should, but what do I know? She seems awful sick. Have you seen her? Miss Peterson thinks she’s dying. She might be right. Miss Peterson says I should visit with her next time she goes to see Miss Guthrie. She says she’s lost so much weight; a strong breeze could sweep her away.
“Then, after church, the mayor paraded about the grounds talking to several of our congregation, promising to take care of their physical needs by exacting restitution from the wealthy white folks in the county who took advantage of them for all those years they lived in slavery. All he did was create anger and stirred several to speak against you—that somehow you’re protecting wealthy white folk by filling their heads full of Jesus loves everyone nonsense…that Christianity, like all religions, is just another form of slavery—to keep one from experiencing all life offers.
“And the Carter sisters…every time I walk in town with Mrs. Sophia Jefferson, they shun us. They make fun of her weight and say awful things like she doesn’t seem to be suffering from the food shortages. They laugh at my outdated clothes and make statements about William. They say he doesn’t look like his father. I know they hate us and it doesn’t help restore peace to the community. But Jason put his hand on top of William’s head. He petted his hair like petting a dog. Then he spoke something to William. I couldn’t hear it, but he looked up at me, smiled that sinister grin I’ve seen before, and then left. I asked William what he said to him, and he said something I couldn’t understand.”
Nathaniel’s head spun with the flurry of information. He managed to ask, “What?”
“William said he said, ‘I’m coming for you.’  It doesn’t make any sense, but I’m telling you, he’s up to no good. I think we should sell the farm and leave as soon as we can. Maybe, I should take William back to Rockford.”
Nathaniel heard those all-too-familiar threatening words. First it was Sergeant Schmidt, now it's Jason Merritt. With the weight of this new worrisome burden, his earlier lifted heart sunk.

 Thanks for reading.

No comments: