Sunday, November 25, 2018

Destination Hope - Book 5 - Reconciliation - Chapter 17

Again, I want to thank those who have written encouraging comments either on my blog or on social media. My continuous prayer is Jesus will use this story to advance His Kingdom for His purposes to the Glory of God.

For new readers to this story, I linked Chapter 1. Chapters 2 - 4 are linked under September, 5 - 10 under October, and 11 - 16 under November.

Destination Hope – Book 5 – Reconciliation

A Novel By:

Charles J. Patricoff

Copyright © 2014 by Charles J. Patricoff. All rights reserved.


Chapter 17

Damages


“How do you know she loved him?” Eleanor fixed her gaze on her cautious husband as he drew his revolver and encouraged Bailey to rush into the single-floor farmhouse’s front door.
“What, Mrs. Graham?” Miss Peterson swiveled in her seat and faced the newest addition to Franklin, Tennessee’s community.
Eleanor watched the pair of would-be hunters as they disappeared beyond the threshold. She blinked, checked William’s face, and then addressed the young woman she hoped to befriend. “How do you know Miss Guthrie had strong affections for my husband? Please understand, I think I have a right to know.”
Miss Peterson’s mouth gaped. She stammered a pitiful series of, “Uh – uh – uh?”
“You see, Miss Peterson, Mr. Graham mentioned her, but as an acquaintance, nothing more. Now, I learn that they may have enjoyed each—” Eleanor searched for an appropriate phrase, then stated, “Other’s company. So please…”
A crash sounded from the farmhouse. To Eleanor’s ear, the tone seemed like ceramic plates breaking on a solid wood floor. Bailey began to bark at a Gatling gun’s, rapid-fire pace.
Nathaniel yelled, “Easy boy.” Then a deep thump erupted. 
“Oh my,” Miss Peterson declared. “I wonder what that was. Maybe they found the critter.”
“Indeed. I hope there is something salvageable inside.”
The two women laughed as they listened to the calamity their eyes could not see.
Nathaniel yelled, “Get ’em, Bailey!”
More barking, banging, and raccoon-chattering protests erupted.
Eleanor pulled the conversation back to her inquiry. “Miss Peterson, please. What can you tell me about your friend?”
Miss Peterson hung her head. Sorrow etched across her visible brow. “She hoped they would wed if he survived the war and came home to a well-kept, vibrant farm.” She sighed. “The last time I saw her was right after last Thanksgiving.” She shrugged. “It wasn’t much of a Thanksgiving.”
“Why not?”
“I mean no disrespect, Mrs. Graham, but, the Yankees occupied our town and stripped our farms, like this one, of everything. They took all Miss Guthrie grew or raised, and left the farm bare.” Miss Peterson scanned the property. “I never saw her so angry. She was always reckless, a bit wild.” She took a deep breath and released. “It’s just my opinion—of course there is no way I could know—but I suspect that may be one of the things that attracted Mr. Graham to her.”
“Was she pretty?”
Miss Peterson nodded. “Oh my, yes. Some would say—and I’d be one of them—she was the most beautiful young woman in these here parts.”
Eleanor’s heart sank. Another crash came from the house, followed by more barking, chatter, and Nathaniel’s yelling. Miss Peterson’s head snapped in the direction of the confrontation. Eleanor felt a second of relief for the domestic territorial squabble.
“Sounds like that varmint doesn’t want to leave.” Miss Peterson motioned toward the house with her chin.
William stretched, yawned, and squeaked. His blue eyes opened and rolled. He began to grunt.
“I sure hope those two get that animal out of there soon, because I think young William is going to need some special attention.”
“Do you need some help with him, Mrs. Graham?”
What I need is to know if my husband cared for that other woman. Will some phantom memory return to haunt our peace in the middle of the night?  Eleanor lifted William in Miss Peterson’s direction. “You mind holding him for a minute while I climb down?”
Miss Peterson almost jumped from her seat, came along side, and before almost snatching William out of Eleanor’s hands, she said, “Do I mind? Let me have him.” She gathered the infant bundle, sniffed the top of his head, and then held him up so she could gaze into William’s drifting eyes. “Well, hello there, Billy. My, aren’t you a handsome little devil?”
He’s not a devil.  Eleanor held her tongue. She shifted and scooted her travel-weary body along the rear seat and almost crawled out. A loud clang came from the house. She discerned Bailey growling and then barking as if half-crazed.
Nathaniel yelled, “There they go, boy.”
Eleanor reached the rear of the buggy and retrieved the bag containing the baby’s necessities. She noticed Miss Peterson rock and give William gentle settling jiggles to help keep him calm against the storm swirling inside his future residence. Eleanor closed her eyes and held them shut for a few seconds. Opening them, she asked what troubled her most. “Do you know?” She waited until Miss Peterson looked her way before completing her question. “Did he love her, too?”
Miss Peterson’s face cringed. “I can’t speak about Pastor Graham’s affections, Mrs. Graham, and I’m certain if I were you, I’d want to know, too.” She approached. Her steps did not even disturb the dust below her feet. “All I know is that Marah…I mean, Miss Guthrie…always expected him to come back to this farm and to her.  She often called herself, ‘Mrs. Graham.’ She claimed to be teasing, of course, but you and I both know, she meant it with all of her heart.”
Eleanor reached and reclaimed her son. “I understand.” She settled William in her arms. Reaching with her right hand, she clasped Miss Peterson’s left and smiled. “Thank you, Pearl.”
Another bang came from the house, followed by the sound of breaking glass. Bailey kept barking like a mad dog, and Nathaniel shouted a victorious, “Hurrah.” Then, two raccoons, each half Bailey’s size, pulled themselves out of the rooftop’s opening.
Eleanor held up William so she could examine his face. “Sounds like the boys have made a mess in there, like you’ve done here.”
“And we women always have to clean up after them,” Miss Peterson added.
“Some things never change, Pearl.” Another crash caused both women to stare at the broken-down house just as Nathaniel and Bailey appeared at the front door.
With a victorious grin Nathaniel shouted, “It’s all clear.”
Eleanor smirked, “Forever carved in stone.”



Instantly, the old homestead took on the appearance of a property under new management. Nathaniel concentrated his energy on making necessary repairs, starting with the hole in the roof. He insisted the raccoons would attempt another invasion. From his prior visit, he remembered some cut lumber stored in the barn. For added light to help him locate the materials, he used an old shovel to prop open the large door, which insisted on swinging shut. While taking mental inventory of other tools left in the barn, the old musket appeared missing. He would conduct a more thorough search, later. For now, he determined that he lacked enough wood to complete a proper job but, by combining the boards with some old tent canvas, he concluded he had sufficient material to construct a three-layered, window-frame looking patch that would keep the critters and a gentle rain out of the house. He figured they would deal with any leaks should an intense thunderstorm hit. With any help from the Lord, they might not get too wet.
Eleanor first cleared a space in the bedroom to cradle little William in a safe spot while she surveyed the damages and took stock of what remained in useful condition. She righted an overturned chair in the main part of the house and then stared at her new domestic surroundings.
Nathaniel peeked his head through the roof and asked, “Well, what do you make of the place?”
Eleanor kept her hands glued to her hips as she swiveled back and forth. “It’s going to need a lot of hard work.”  She shifted her gaze upward and found her grinning husband. “But, I suspected as much. It’s smaller than I imagined.”
“It is a farm, sweetheart. We’re not in Chicago anymore.” Nathaniel paused. “Maybe I can add a room up here.”
Eleanor raised her hand and blocked the sunshine streaming from behind Nathaniel’s left ear. She smiled. “That would be nice. Did I ever thank you for rescuing me from that town?”
Nathaniel smiled back. Should I tell her—maybe later? “Did I ever thank you for saving my leg, my life, and giving me something to live for as I wasted away in prison?”
“No, as a matter of fact, you didn’t.”
“Okay then, I suppose, we both suffered from momentary ungratefulness. Besides, I need to fix this here roof.” Nathaniel slid a board to the cavity’s peak position. “How’s William doing?”
Eleanor faced the bedroom and spied her son pulling on a toe. “He seems to be adjusting.”
“Do you think my hammering will scare him?”
“I don’t know. It might.”
“I guess we’ll find out real soon.”
Eleanor looked over her left shoulder. “When you finish that chore, I need you to check out the bed.”
“Why?”
“I guess our tenants must not have liked it much.”
“What do you mean, darling?” Not waiting for his wife’s answer, he hammered home his first nail. William’s eyes widened and then blinked with each bang, but he did not cry.
“Oh, you’ll see soon enough.”
Nathaniel pulled the canvas taut and called through the fabric, “I can only imagine. Now I’m wondering if we will have a comfortable place to sleep tonight.”
“I was thinking the same thing.”
Nathaniel pounded in another nail and shouted, “I’m sorry, darling.”
Eleanor replied with reciprocating volume. “Don’t be, I’m happy to be here. Even though I’m surrounded by a mess, it’s our mess, and I know we can clean or fix it all, together.”
William gave out a happy squeal as Nathaniel said loudly, “Somehow I knew that you would feel that way. I’ll be down in a minute.”
It took about an hour to finish the roof’s patchwork. Perspiring, Nathaniel entered the front door and said, “That should hold it until I can fix it right. Pray it doesn’t rain, tonight.” He crossed the floor ignoring the broken dishes and the other knocked-over chair. “So, what’s the big problem with the bed?”
Eleanor stood at the room’s threshold and waved her right arm. “See for yourself.”
With cautious steps, Nathaniel approached. Before peering inside, he stopped and gave Eleanor a kiss. They held their embrace for a second. With her eyes, Eleanor commanded his attention to the object in question. Nathaniel pushed off just enough to strain his neck around his bride. This time, his eyes widened. “Oh Lord, what happened?”


No comments: