Monday, October 29, 2018

Destination Hope - Book 5 - Reconciliation - Chapter 10

As of this writing, an invasion force is less than 40 days away from the U.S. Southern border. We want to avoid a clash, but the world needs to know we mean business. Please join me in praying for our Border Patrol and Military professionals that God will grant them His wisdom for dealing with this avoidable confrontation.

For new readers of this story, I linked Chapter 1. Chapters 2-4 are linked under September and Chapters 5-9 are linked under October.

Destination Hope – Book 5 – Reconciliation

A Novel By:

Charles J. Patricoff

Copyright © 2014 by Charles J. Patricoff. All rights reserved.


Chapter 10

Independence Day


Barrack number 5 buzzed with sounds never heard within its walls over the past three years since construction ended in 1862—excitement, laughter, and joy. At its seam-splitting peak, the building housed over three hundred Confederate officers. This day, the remnant ten packed their few belongings and prepared for a final roll call. Then they would stand in line to process parole papers, receive one month’s pay of twenty dollars, and a one-way train ticket to their home of record.
“What are you going to do when you get back to Kentucky, John?”
“I don’t know, Major Graham. I ain’t smart like you officers, ain’t had much schooling, neither. I hope my folks have held onto the farm. I read in the papers, many folks had to sell out. I ain’t heard from them for more than a year. I’m a feared they’z may be dead.”
“Oh.” Nathaniel stopped tying his bag. “Maybe, they are fine. Have you written to them?”
“A couple of times.”
“I see.” Nathaniel grabbed his journal. “I know you can read.”
They both chuckled and Private Hicks said, “I guess you can say that Major.”
“No need to recognize rank anymore, John.”
Nathaniel took his writing quill, fished his inkbottle from his bag and began to jot something. “If things do not go well for you in Kentucky—” he ripped the page from his journal—“head further south and find me in Tennessee.”
Private Hicks accepted the paper, examined it, and, with gratefulness in his tone, said, “Thanks, Pastor.”
Nathaniel stuffed his things into his travel bag, tied it tight, threw it over his shoulder. “Take care, John. Maybe our paths will cross again.” The two former soldiers shook hands. “Well, my friend,” Nathaniel said. “I have a ferryboat to catch.”
“I betcha I get there first.”
Nathaniel smiled at the younger man who had fewer opportunities in life. “We’ll see.” He hurried through the bunkhouse, passed the dinner table, stepped past the threshold, and then outside of barrack number 5 for the last time.
Nathaniel crossed the compound and stood in line like the day he first arrived. He picked up his envelope, which contained his parole papers, a sum of US currency, and a train ticket. To the very best of his ability, he marched demonstrating a sense of accomplishment as he drew closer to the prison gates. He knew that he had not compromised his principles and values and that he had been obedient to his Maker’s commands, finding true liberty in Christ even in captivity.
Before he reached the exit, Sergeant O’Brien stood in his path. “Graham, a word?”
Now what? “I don’t want to miss the boat, Sergeant.”
“I know the schedule. I won’t keep you long. I just wanted you to know, I was ordered to keep an eye on you. Even though you gave me more trouble than I thought you were worth, you always acted with honor.” Sergeant O’Brien extended his hand.
Nathaniel hesitated. He studied Sergeant O’Brien’s eyes. Nathaniel pulled his bag free from his shoulders and let it down to the ground. He rubbed his right hand on his army provided trousers. He hiked them up and clasped Sergeant O’Brien’s hand. “No hard feelings?”
“None, Graham.”
Nathaniel pursed his lips. “Well, I hope you don’t mind, but, I’m not sorry I caused you a few sleepless nights.”
Sergeant O’Brien chuckled. “We were enemies then.”
“I see.” Nathaniel shifted his weight, nudged his bag with his right leg, and leaned in that direction. “Maybe I’ll see you again someday, Sergeant.”
“Call me Sean, Graham.” O’Brien smiled. “We’re fellow countrymen now. I wanted to be the first to welcome you back into the United States of America.”
“Thanks, Sean. Call me Nate. All my close friends do.” A squint emerged. “You sure you don’t hold any grudge against me for trying to escape?”
“No Nate. I would have done the same if the tables were turned.”
“Fair enough, but what about refusing to take the oath? You know it’s different and, in my opinion, demands too much—violates a man’s conscience, something no government can do. Does the Almighty King of the Universe violate a man’s free will?”
O’Brien’s eyebrows rose. “I don’t know about that, but between you and me, I wouldn’t have taken it, either.”
Digesting O’Brien’s last comment, Nathaniel extended his hand, this time in friendship. “Take care of yourself, Sean.”
“When you see your wife, Nate, tell her I’m sorry, we were…”
“A bit rude?” She’s not mine yet. She may yet refuse.
“Well, tell her I’m sorry.”
Nathaniel shouldered his US Army issued duffle bag. “I’m sure all will be forgiven.” I hope.
“Thanks. Good-bye, Major.” Sergeant O’Brien took one-step backwards, came to attention, and snapped a proper salute—respect shown from one man to another.
Nathaniel exchanged the time-proven honor and walked through the prison gates. Once on the other side, he performed an about-face movement and looked up at the sign that warned him to abandon all hope. “That is one order I’m glad I never obeyed.  Lord Jesus, You are my hope and future.”
A few moments later, Nathaniel stepped aboard the ferryboat a free man.
Watching the departure from the compound catwalk, Colonel Hill inquired, “Do you think he bought it, Sergeant.”
“I suspect so, sir. He is a trusting fool.”
“I guess we’ll hear soon enough.”
“Sir, may I ask you a question?”
“Yes, Sergeant, you may speak freely. What’s on your mind?”
“He seems like a whole lot of nothing special. I don’t understand why we had to keep such a close eye on him, sir.”
“Sergeant, he did come close to breaking a bunch out of our prison.”
“We had that situation well under control, sir.”
“It was a little too close for my comfort, Sergeant. And your informant played both sides and came within minutes of making a clean get away.”
“I know but why did he,” Sergeant O’Brien jammed a thumb toward the ferryboat pulling away from the dock, “demand so much attention?”
“We all have orders, Sergeant, and others more important than us expect us to follow them.”
Thanks for reading. As I compare the condition of our nation then and now, I have hope that the United States of America can once again be "One Nation Under God" "With Liberty and Justice for all." A country that lives up to its motto, "In God We Trust."

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment.

2 comments:

Todd Groat said...

Enjoyable chapter yet again Charlie! Thanks!

Unknown said...


I enjoyed Books 1-4 very much and I'm enjoying #5. Looking forward to reading the rest of the chapters. Thanks for writing this series.

Blessing to you & Mary
Sharon