Monday, July 02, 2018

Has America Passed a Tipping Point?


This past weekend, I had the opportunity to talk with some college bound young people about the workshop I’ll be teaching at the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers’ Conference. When I shared with them the topic title, “America at the Crossroads,” I was met with blank stares. Even though my presentation has nothing to do with the 2018 elections this November, I asked them if they knew it was an election year. One person asked in response, “It is?” Knowing that our education system – I refer to it as our indoctrination system – has failed our young people, I asked them a fundamental question. “What does it mean to be an American?” Unsurprisingly, no one answered.
As a historian, I would wager that not many people can offer a rational response to that question, even folks born and raised in this unique nation. I know the 14thAmendment to the Unites States Constitution says, “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.” Even the Constitution fails to answer my question. I was happy to receive a positive response to my questions, “What does the 4thof July mean?” And, “Who was our first president.” But not one of these young people could give context to why we declared our independence, from whom, or why the Revolutionary War was fought.
I then asked, if they ever read or heard the Declaration of Independence, and one young lady said, she wasn’t sure, and a young man asked, “Isn’t it about freedom?” Then I answered, “Yes and no.” I said, “Tell me if you’ve ever heard this.” I recited, “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal,” and I stopped right there. They had all heard those words, for which I had a fleeting moment of gratitude. I said, “This statement, ‘all men are created equal,’ is either the truth, or it’s a lie. Today, you will hear clever people say, ‘Well, those are nice words, but some people are more equal than others.’” They all laughed and nodded their agreement. I stated, both cannot be true, and these words cannot be considered, “Nice.” The statement either is or is not the truth. 
America was founded on this cornerstone, “All men are created equal.” President Abraham Lincoln restated it in his Gettysburg Address when he said, “Our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” Americans by the thousands gave their lives believing that this is the truth. God created all human beings equal and free and in His eyes, everyone has value – no one is more equal or has more value than another. No other nation has as its foundation stone this truth. This is what is unique, this is what is exceptional, this is what it means to be an American. An American is willing to lay down his life for a complete stranger to have the chance at life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
If you agree with this post, please share it with your friends. If you would like to participate in my workshop, if you believe God is calling you to write for His purposes, and if you need encouragement to carry out His calling, I believe you’ll gain, immeasurably by attending the wonderful Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers’ Conference, where Jesus is exulted above all. There is still time to register by following this link: Register.

No comments: