Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Destination Hope - Book 5 - Reconciliation - Chapter 15

This is a short chapter, but it is a necessary step in the story's journey. Some might say, it's a giant leap.

For new readers to this story, I linked Chapter 1. Chapters 2 - 4 are linked under September, 5 - 10 under October, and 11 - 14 under November.

Destination Hope – Book 5 – Reconciliation

A Novel By:

Charles J. Patricoff

Copyright © 2014 by Charles J. Patricoff. All rights reserved.
Chapter 15

Decision


Later that afternoon, other visitors arrived. The ward of six women caressing their new infants swelled beyond comfortable capacity. The few men found space to stand along the wall by the window. It had been flung wide open since early in the morning, but by this time of day in the dog days of summer, an open window failed to offer any relief from the stifling heat.
Nathaniel held the sleeping bundle that brought a discernible change to his heart and mind. He’d had plenty of time to discuss the burning question, but somehow the conversation never seemed to go anywhere near that destination. All of his skill in changing the topic of conversation seemed to vanish in the presence of the woman who captured his affections. And in some mystical manner, she seemed more beautiful than his memory served, causing him to remain mute, gazing at her bright eyes, only speaking when a question pointed in his direction.
“Well…” Nathaniel shifted his gaze back to Eleanor from the inquiring Mrs. Moody. “I suppose it depends on you. Do you feel strong enough to travel?”
Eleanor failed to suppress a reflexive yawn. She covered her mouth with a free hand. “Oh, I’m sorry.” Her smile resurfaced. “Not yet, and I would like to know what the doctor thinks about his,” she raised her head and pointed with her chin at her baby, “ability to travel long distances.”
“So, you do not intend to stay in Chicago much longer?”
Nathaniel said, “Reverend Moody…Mrs. Moody…I, uh we, do appreciate your gracious hospitality, but we are a family now, and we have to decide what and where it’s best for our family to serve the Lord.”
Mrs. Emma Moody offered, “You could be of great service here.” She twisted her whole body in her husband’s direction. “Right, Dwight?”
“Of course, naturally, I couldn’t offer you much in the way of a salary, being a budding ministry. But many more donors are becoming interested in funding our efforts. They understand their God-given responsibility to help care for the orphans and widows who have nothing as a result of the war.”
Nathaniel gestured to Eleanor by holding up his son. He walked over to Eleanor’s left side and offered her the baby before pivoting toward Reverend and Mrs. Moody. “The situation, may be worse back at my home in Tennessee. The news I’ve been able to glean is not good. The devastation to the town was horrendous. Franklin will need all the help it can get. It would be wrong for me to abandon it now that I have the means and opportunity to help.”
Reverend Moody closed his eyes and nodded.
Mrs. Moody’s countenance fell. Her eyes watered as they rested on her friend, as if rendering a protesting appeal.
Eleanor reached with her left hand and grasped Nathaniel’s right. “I’m sorry, Em. But we agreed and settled this by correspondence long ago. You once said, ‘I would be like a modern-day Ruth’. And Mr. Graham…” She smiled at him as she finished her thought. “For whither thou goest, I will go: and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.”
“Sounds like a wedding vow to me,” Reverend Moody said.
“And to me.” With his eyes fixed on his bride, Nathaniel said, “I realize this may not be the best setting for a wedding, and I’m sure it doesn’t come close to the plans you made, but I’ve always preached that the marriage is more important than the ceremony.”
Eleanor smiled. Her happy eyes and glowing features provided everyone the consent they needed.
Reverend Moody declared with noticeable excitement, “Well then, it’s settled.  We have a room full of witnesses; Eleanor has fresh flowers. Let’s make you two into a proper husband and wife right now.”
Mrs. Moody asked, “But Eleanor, what about your dress?”
Eleanor kept her deep inquiring stare fixed on Nathaniel. “What do you think? Is this a good idea?”
Nathaniel’s smile broadened. “I do.”


No comments: